A few weeks ago (3-24-13), our usual lazy Sunday morning turned into a day at the hospital for us. I was in my room getting dressed and came into the kitchen to find and empty bottle (the bigger 4oz bottles) of Childrens Tylenol! I had just opened this bottle the previous night and gave a little to Emma since she felt a little warm to me and was complaining of her head hurting. At first I thought, who dumpped out all the Tylenol? But quickly realized that there wasn't any spilled anywhere and that one of the kids must have drank it ALL! I asked Kaylee what happened, and she said that she had opended it and that Emma drank ALL OF IT! After a second or two of processing and realizing how much she must have drank I grabbed my phone and call poison control. They asked some questions (age, weight, how much she drank, how consentrated the medicine was, etc.) They asked me how quickly I could get her to a hospital (this freaked me out a little), and told me that they were calling the hospital to let them know we were on our way. I threw some clothes on Emma and went to my room to get my shoes. Being raised by a Mom who was a nurse I usually am pretty good at holding it together and not freaking out in medical emergency situations. Stay calm, just focus on what you need to do to fix the problem, wait till you have all the information then assess the severity of the situation. This has always been my mind set when dealing with things like this. However, on the way to the hospital it all of the sudden hit me that this could be really bad, and I had to fight my darndest to keep from bawling! We went into the ER, they took us right back. After taking her vitals, getting IV strarted, etc. we really just had to wait to see where the level of Tylenol in her blood was at. Some more waiting. First level came back pretty high, they said they would do another one in a few hours to see if it was going to go any higher or stay and where it was. Was informed that she would need to be hospitalized (AKA would have to stay overnight), would need an antidote to protect her liver (without it, she could/most likely would have liver failure!) Antidote was started and would run 24 hrs. with level checks to see how it was doing. So the good news was, the treatment was pretty benign. Just sat around and watched a lot of TV. We were moved upstaris to her room. Some more TV watching, another blood check. Then the great news! Doctor then came in and said that the level of tylenol in her blood was pretty much GONE! And that she was fine now! What?!? At first I wanted to say, are you sure? Didn't they just tell us that it was really high? I presonally believe that we experienced a small miracle that day and that it was due to all the prayers from our family, and our ward. (We recieved and out pouring of love, support, and prayers from them) After I had a little grateful/emotional breakdown in the bathroom, we packed up and headed home. So grateful for all the wonderful people in our lives and the love and support they have shown to us!

No comments:
Post a Comment