Friday, September 19, 2014

Barcelona

We arrived in Barcelona around 11am on Saturday Aug. 23rd. We spent all of Friday flying, and were completely exhausted by the time we finally arrived in Spain! Neither Lance or I were able to sleep much on the plane so that made matters even worse. We were not able to check into our hotel until 4pm! (remember we arrived at 11am, and had not slept in about 24 hours) So we had the option to either A: check our luggage at the hotel and go tour the city since we had about 5hrs to kill. Or B:Sleep in the hotel lobby and then have only a couple hrs to tour the city. Although option B is what I really would have liked to do, we decided that since we were finally here, and not sure when(if ever) we would get the chance to visit Barcelona again, we wanted to see as much as we could for as long as we could! So off we went not knowing a lick of Spanish (besides a few words and Lance's broken high school Spanish) to find our way around the city, places to eat, the best sites to see, etc. For the most part people were friendly and willing to help. We found quite a few people that spoke a little English. We found some people that didn't speak any English and would just repeat over and over to us whatever it was they were trying to tell us in Spanish until we were both frustrated and thanked them and left. There was this one lady that was getting really annoyed at me, I think she was trying to ask if I was going to eat inside or outside at this cafe we found. I was trying to point and say outside, but she just huffed and rolled her eyes and practically threw my food at me. It was pretty fun! 
Next, we decided the best & fastest use of our time would be to hop on a city tour bus where you could get on and off at all these different stops, as many times as you wanted! Our first stop was to the Sagrada Familia. Oh my goodness, it was amazing! Literally breathtaking!!! I just stood there literally with my mouth open staring up at it for, what I'm sure was 10 minutes! I was blown away by Gaudi! I had heard of him from school and all, but to actually see his work in person was unbelieveable! After we just could NOT stay awake on the bus any longer, we headed back to the hotel to check in, take a quick nap, and then head back out for dinner, and more site seeing! Barcelona is such a beautiful city, we really hope we get a chance to go back someday. 



On the tour bus
In front of the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya. Probably my second favorite building we saw. The beauty and detail of all the architecture we saw was astounding!
Leaving our hotel the Avenida Palace. Hands down the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in!
Staircase ALL the way down!

Statue of Columbus down by the port.

We really enjoyed the little time that we had here. Sunday morning we met up with the rest of the Jones group to hop on the charter buses and head for our ship! It was fun to meet so many new people, we made friends with a few couples that we would later be hanging out with on our cruise!

No comments: